Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rick Remender On X-Force's Cast

PrettyFakes is proud to present Tim Jones’ interview with celebrated comics scribe Rick Remender, writer of Fear Agent, Uncanny X-Force, and an acclaimed recent run on Punisher, among other titles. Click on the link to read the rest of the interview!

Tim: Did you get to pick the team?

Rick Remender: No, I didn’t. They had already put the team together when I was in talks to do the book. The team was obviously why I wanted to do the book, more than anything because of my connection to Fantomex and my love for Betsy/Psylocke. Obviously Wolverine and Deadpool are a ton of fun to write and great characters. But the big juice came from what I saw in the potential for these other characters and how they would interact with the popular ones like Deadpool and Wolverine. I had some ideas that I’m getting to now to develop Deadpool into a three dimensional person where we see his motives a little more, and you start to see more of what’s going on behind the curtains. He’s the guy whose schizophrenic, he’s always wacky and making jokes, but there’s always some kind of personality issue at the core of that. For him, I imagined that he’s this guy who is refuse. He’s a failed product of Weapon X and he’s never been accepted anywhere and always sort of been the pariah. So the humor is a protective wall to shield himself and I like trying to tear that down and show the gooey human core in the middle. So there’s a lot of great character stuff with those five together. Someone told me that those were the five they were thinking, I got to work on connecting them with interpersonal dynamics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really love what he has to say about the characters.