Monday, February 5, 2024

X-Men Monday #238 – Steve Foxe Discusses ‘Dead X-Men’ #1

AiPT!: This week, writer Steve Foxe is back to dig into X-Fans’ questions about the first issue of Dead X-Men — featuring the reborn team of X-Men that never got a chance to shine… until now!

AIPT: What you could tease about Betsy’s role in Dead X-Men, which we knew expanded (or was the expansion in X-Men Unlimited)?

Steve: Please see that meme of the little girl saying “Why not both?” Betsy’s not a core cast member of Dead — you’ll see a LOT more of her in Unlimited — but Lucas Werneck’s killer cover to Dead X-Men #3 already revealed that we’ll see a certain Ms. Braddock popping up in the pages of Dead, too. As an extra tease for the very dedicated Betsy fans, I’ll say David Baldeon’s take on her is so good.

AIPT: What can you share about how Rachel’s role in this story came to be? Was her inclusion your choice, or did Kieron Gillen plan to incorporate her into Rise of the Powers of X from the start?

Steve: Rachel’s role was actually one of the coolest and most natural evolutions of this project. I’ve been lucky to work very closely with Kieron while developing Dead X-Men, and he’s been wildly generous in playing back and forth to make sure our book works and complements Rise and X-Men Forever as best as it can.

Early on, before Steve Orlando and I got the offer to work on X-Men Unlimited throughout the spring, I had my eye on Captain Britain and Rachel Summers, since I knew my good friend Tini Howard was wrapping up her long and awesome run of Betsy-focused books. It felt wrong to let Betsy and Rachel slip out of the spotlight for this final stretch of the Krakoan era, but they weren’t naturally fitting into anyone else’s plans.

When the plot of Dead X-Men started to come into focus, I suggested one or both as additions to the cast and, over a few months of planning and writing, Kieron and I ended up making Rachel incredibly central to both of our books. She’s really the tether from Dead to Rise in more ways than one, and I really dig how organically that came about as we both refined our plots. Massive thanks to Kieron for being such a wonderful collaborator and guide.

4 comments:

randybear said...

Ew I don't like Baldeons style at all. It's so damn cartoony and everyone is srawn ugly af. He's fine on something like Deadpool but ugh really wanted Chang to draw the Betsy issue. He killed #1

THE FLYING NEGRO said...

I have to say, I enjoyed the first issue of Dead X-Men. I was so skeptical about Steve Foxe, but he didn't do a bad job. The only thing I don't like is that Moira will likely not be getting a redemption arc, just more effery from Jordan White.

Not sure multiple artists was the way to go for this one, it breaks up the continuity for me. David Baldeon is not great, he is the Dollar Store version of Humberto Ramos. Baldeon's art instantly turns the book into a joke book.

Foxe needs to realize that everything Tini Howard did was a failure, hoping he strays away from her terrible ideas even more. I like things so far, and hopefully he won't put the final nail in Betsy's coffin when she cameos.

Jaime Braz said...

@randybear David Baldeon draws some pretty covers and his art style is sometimes cartoony but he can produce quality art given proper time.

randybear said...

I don't like his style at all. I'm not saying he can't draw I just can't stomach his cartoony style. His women are usually so ugly. He's the reason I dropped XMen Legacy when he was brought on full time. That run had covers by Mark Brooks lol What a cruel joke