Friday, July 17, 2015

X-Men: Apocalypse star Olivia Munn on Psylocke’s Costume

EW: Olivia Munn is visibly psyched to be joining the X-Men universe. The actress, last seen on HBO’s The Newsroom, is a huge fan of the comic book series and takes it very seriously. Says Munn, “My sister just graduated magna cum laude from law school. My little brother just became a master physicist, he’s going to go get his PhD. That’s where they’re at. And yet we talk about X-Men as if we’re talking about the Civil War.”

One of the most striking aspects of Psylocke is her rather risqué outfit, a conscious choice made by Apocalypse, who dresses all of his minions. “Psylocke’s outfit or uniform or suit or whatever you want to call it is very sexual,” admits Munn. “I’ve got like my thigh-highs and a halter, but the thing about that, and that was important, is that it doesn’t matter what I’m wearing as long as we’re all aware of who she is. She’s very strong and she’s very lethal and she’s very powerful, and it doesn’t really matter what she’s wearing as long as you have that strength and that presence.”

But wearing skin-tight latex does have its challenges. “Now it fits like a glove, but it’s kind of hard because there’s been times where I’m pulling and it pops like a balloon, which did happen day one,” admits Munn. “Day one, I was like, ‘Uh, guys, uh, do we have a backup? Sorry I popped my crotch.” 

To continue reading the cover story on X-Men: Apocalypse, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, on newsstands Friday.

No comments: