Marvel.com: Earth’s Mightiest Mutants assemble! Earlier today at the Marvel Comics: Avengers: Armageddon panel at San Diego Comic-Con, superstar writer Chip Zdarsky shed light on the era that follows AVENGERS: ARMAGEDDON (2026), including his upcoming AVENGERS (2026) run with Marco Checchetto, where the Avengers are left to pick up the pieces of a shattered world that’s turned against them. As the Avengers take time to regroup, an all-new X-Men team rises to take their place as Earth’s Mightiest Heroes in MAXIMUM X-MEN, a new ongoing series by acclaimed writer Christopher Yost—returning to the X-Men after his acclaimed work on the franchise in the 2010s—and artist Tony S. Daniel, who recently made his own return to the world of X in Jed MacKay's X-MEN (2024).
MAXIMUM X-MEN #1
Written by Christopher Yost
Art and Cover by Tony S. Daniel
On Sale 12/2
Together, the two X-Men veterans introduce an all-new, all-different kind of X-team as Storm, fresh off her stint with Avengers, recruits a lineup of all-star mutant heroes—including X-Men mainstays and a pair of iconic mutant Avengers—to confront global threats no other team is equipped to deal with, beginning with nothing less than a relentless inter-dimensional invasion! Both creators joined the panel as surprise guests to discuss the new series.
In the wake of the events of AVENGERS: ARMAGEDDON, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes are no more! So who will stand in defense of the Earth? The X-Men will! Storm gathers an elite team for just that task, including Wolverine, Colossus, Bishop, Iceman, Psylocke, Firestar, and Justice! Mutants by birth, heroes by choice! And their first challenge is a full-on invasion from the Negative Zone! Is this Annihilus again—or something far, far worse?
On reuniting with Marvel’s Merry Mutants, Yost shared, “I’ve worked on my fair share of X-Books over the years, but MAXIMUM X-MEN is everything I love about comics rolled into one—it’s underdog heroes saving the world from the biggest Avengers-level threats imaginable, it’s mind-breaking action and drama and everything people expect from X-Men, all with a classic Claremont vibe. Rolling MAXIMUM X-MEN out as part of the new world post-Armageddon only lets us spotlight the need for a story like this… and to top it all off, I get to work with legendary artist Tony Daniel. As a lifelong X-Men fan, it doesn’t get any better!”
“The X-Men have long been my favorite characters since discovering GIANT-SIZE X-MEN (1975) #1 in the fourth grade,” Daniel added. “I’ve always dreamed of working on my favorite characters, so it’s an incredible honor to launch MAXIMUM X-MEN with Chris. I’ve been a fan of Chris’s writing for a long time, but this is our first time joining forces. I’m already in love with the story in the first issue. Its vibe and energy remind me so much of the kind of X-Men stories I loved as a child, and I can’t wait for the audience to see what we have in store.”
“For so long, my life has been out of control. Chaos and serendipity, wrapped in insanity. I have suffered, I have lost. Not just my life, but my very soul, my self. But no more. Now I know who I am.” – Elizabeth ‘Betsy’ Braddock, daughter of Otherworld, mutant, telepath, telekinetic, defender of the realm and, above all, X-Man.
24 comments:
Omg.
See?
this is why I say to never give up guys, stay focused & just keep writing with support.
they know we are vocal & Betsy has a great large fan base :)
I'm so happy right now that all our writing and staying loyal paid off.
So friggen happy right now :)
And just saw Yost is writing?
I loved his Betsy solo book.
So excited.
HOLY SHIT our girl is finally back!
Yes @Nate.
Our Psylocke is back :)
Holy crap. Betsy’s back on the X-Men. Back as Psylocke. Drawn by Daniel. Written by Yost. could not have asked for more.
I wonder if there’s going to be a reason why Betsy’s back in a blue and gold uniform with Firestar and Justice while the other vets aren’t…
She got her identity back !!!! That makes me think my theory of the 50th anniversary story changing her status quo may be true
Wow, I never thought I’d see all three of my favorites (Psylocke, Firestar, Wolverine) on a team together. 😍🤩
Also, having Justice on the team means they'll likely focus on her TP and fighting abbility more than her TK
Half of the Outback Team and
Two Thirds of the Amazing Friends with Bishop and Justice! This is dope!
Storm as leader and Elizabeth as The Psylocke is icing!
This book, including its creative team and characters just made me so giddy!
WHAT????? 😱
What’s happening, guys? Am I reading this correctly, am I dreaming? The farce is over, finally? Is the world healing? Am I pinching myself right now, am I moist, am I humid…? YES I AM!
So many questions. I’m confused and aroused, at the same time. I’mma need a day or two to process the news…
@Rahsaan I'm so excited.
Although I realize I think I was mistaken
I believe Yost wrote Storm's solo book & Betsy's Mini series.
I kept thinking it was Betsy's solo book.
But both were well written imo.
I'm definitely looking forward to this book.
So glad she got her codename back from the pretender Kwannon. Here’s hoping she gets her iconic look back eventually too.
This is crazy! Godlocke is back
Now, can we stop crapping on Kwannon please. I'm glad Betsy is back as Psylocke and whether she's focused more on TK then TP. I love both of these women and hoping Kwannon back as Revanche or even a new codename.
Finally got an OG Betsy figure after all this time (still hoping for one in the pink outfit), "X-Men Outback", and now this. I've been so happy about Betsy recently.
Am i wrong thinking this book is some kind of retro timeline/flashback thing? The blue and gold uniforms, Wolverine's old one... that name... Even the title screams "90's". But then Betsy has the sword, and the flowers in her hair... Maybe it's just timeline f***ery all around, or not 616 at all? Very curious about this.
FINALLY!!! Omg I'm so excited for this. Our girl is back to her original and rightful codename as Psylocke.
FINALLY!!! Omg I'm so excited for this. Our girl is back to her original and rightful codename as Psylocke.
@X-Man, Yost wrote her first mini in 2010 with art by Harvey Tolibao and David Finch.
@Renegade, I would love it if Kwannon took on a new code name. Revanche no longer applied after she learned the truth that she was not Elizabeth and that Psylocke was. I would REALLY LOVE if they would craft new friendships for her as well as a powerset that is doesn’t mimic Psylocke’s imagery and power signature. It would do the character a world of good to not be shoehorned into Betsy’s shoes. Like how is Kwannon now seemingly closer to everyone Betsy knew and fostered relationships than Betsy?
@Some Dude, I appreciate you, but you know I’mma have to say that yellowface isn’t iconic. Here is to hoping that Bets gets a new inconic look in this new book. One that is not the Disassembled look nor has any remnants of the Captain Britain look (flowers included).
Lastly, I really wish that Marvel
editorial would enforce the redesign of Storm with coiled hair that looks like a cloud. This wavy look here feels like yet another artist changing what Dautermann and Werneck have worked hard to establish in terms of representation and Ororo’s ancestry as Black American and Kenyan. It’s lazy af that some of there artists keep straightening her hair (and not as just a simple style choice).
Wow, Betsy is back! And written by Chris Yost! YAY!!!
This reveal brings some questions to mind:
1. Marvel.com refers to her as Psylocke - does this mean that she dropped the CB mantle (if so, hopefully Brian will be CB again) or is she still CB and just chose not to use this mantle while she’s with the X-Men? And will Kwannon get a new codename or will both women be “Psylocke” at the same time?
2. Why is she wearing a generic X-Men blue and yellow uniform instead of her usual colors (purple and pink)?
3. Rachel isn’t in this team, so have them broken up or are they still a couple? There is precedence of X-Men couples being on different teams (like Cyclops and Jean in the 1990s Blue and Gold teams, or Rogue and Gambit in the Revolution era), so we’ll have to wait and see.
Also, here’s to the return of Wolvie’s brown and orange.
Hopefully, “Retsy” is over. There’s no need to carry that dead weight into Betsy’s new era. Here’s to more flirting and some new boy/girlfriends.
This isn’t a Kwannon site, fuck her if you like her do not tell others to stop when her fans are going CRAZY right now on Betsy fans.
Good points. I’m am optimist by nature and I want this to be true so bad, but I can’t help but imagine a couple scenarios:
1. Betsy reclaims her identity as Psylocke. Kwannon assumes a new codename (I always thought just “Kwannon” was perfect for her. It’s a strong name, better than Psylocke or Revanche for her, specifically, and I say this with no bias).
2. They both share the Psylocke mantle - wouldn’t be the first time this happened in comics. Although having both of them on X-teams could be kinda weird. Can you imagine Storm going “Hey, have you seen Psylocke?” And the other person goes “Which one? Posh Spice or Ninja girl?” You know? :p
They test characters’ popularity all the time. Though this move of giving Betsy her codename back seems kinda weird given just how much stuff they’ve given Kwannon in recent years, but maybe the character of Psylocke just isn’t popping as she used to, isn’t resonating with readers since Kwannon took over, no matter how much they’ve tried to make fetch happen. So they’ve perhaps reconsidered the whole thing, God willing? 🧐 Who knows, at this point…
3. This is some alternate reality or temporary sitch, or whatever. This scenario is what I fear.
4. I’m not tripping too much about the outfit yet (although I’d like to see her back in her purple & pink color scheme, hopefully Disassembled’s look), since Firestar and Gambit seem to also be wearing the same generic blue & gold X-uniform.
5. I’d also like to see “Retsy” gone at some point. Although it’s a minor concern, I think the storyline came out of nowhere, while Tini was writing her. And it felt gimmicky and performative, like let’s just bring them out whenever it’s Pride or or some other LGBTQI+ celebration. In my opinion, it’s added nothing positive to either character. Plus, Betsy’s always liked d*ck, and I say this with love, as someone who also does. But hey, again, minor concern! ^^
God, I’m so happy with this! 2026 has been an awesome year for Betsy, I haven’t been this excited in a long time! ^^
A correction it's not Gambit, it's Justice (Vance Astrovik)
Post a Comment