Adam: I'm really enjoying spending some time with the armor. This was a very unique look for Betsy and part of her transition from a standard squishy psychic character to a warrior who always wants to get in the fight.
Now that she's going back to being Psylocke, there's inevitably going to be another shuffle of look and skill elements between her and Kwannon. For Betsy herself, I'd be thrilled to see a new armored look, and using psychic weaponry from her own cultural background like the broadsword and shield. I don't mind the flowers but the butterfly is way more important as her signature visual element.
For Kwannon - who I also love and hope doesn't get sidelined - letting her hold on to the darker, sleeker ninja look feels like a good path for her to claim part of the Psylocke legacy while differentiating her from Betsy. I think she should lose the butterfly but continue to use psychic weapons that are more about stealth and surprise like knives and throwing stars. Finally, a story that sees her choosing her own unique codename, rather than having an identity thrust upon her, would be an empowering step forward for her.
@Ice-Quinn, looking at Bets here and in back issues, I dig her personality more now. She’s lightened up a bit in terms of sense of humor which I think has come with her confidence as a hero. She always was sarcastic, but her dry humor feels a bit more flippant and devil may care now… If that makes sense. What’s interesting to me is that when the Acts of Vengeance plot started and we see the Hand brainwashing Betsy, her memories show that she was always wild and adventurous. Interestingly enough prior to that when Claremont wrote her in both the UK and US comments, she was portrayed as more serious and demure. Not that I’m complaining as I like her being more vivacious and people have various facets to their personalities.
Adam: I'm really enjoying spending some time with the armor. This was a very unique look for Betsy and part of her transition from a standard squishy psychic character to a warrior who always wants to get in the fight.
ReplyDeleteNow that she's going back to being Psylocke, there's inevitably going to be another shuffle of look and skill elements between her and Kwannon. For Betsy herself, I'd be thrilled to see a new armored look, and using psychic weaponry from her own cultural background like the broadsword and shield. I don't mind the flowers but the butterfly is way more important as her signature visual element.
For Kwannon - who I also love and hope doesn't get sidelined - letting her hold on to the darker, sleeker ninja look feels like a good path for her to claim part of the Psylocke legacy while differentiating her from Betsy. I think she should lose the butterfly but continue to use psychic weapons that are more about stealth and surprise like knives and throwing stars. Finally, a story that sees her choosing her own unique codename, rather than having an identity thrust upon her, would be an empowering step forward for her.
I love this idea, but I want Elizabeth to keep the psi-dagger as she is the one who created it. That's all.
DeleteAlways loved this iteration of Betsy! Probably my favorite era of the X-Men (and Betsy) ever.
ReplyDeleteLove this momentum she’s gaining, 2026 is defo Betsy’s year! 🦋
@Ice-Quinn, looking at Bets here and in back issues, I dig her personality more now. She’s lightened up a bit in terms of sense of humor which I think has come with her confidence as a hero. She always was sarcastic, but her dry humor feels a bit more flippant and devil may care now… If that makes sense. What’s interesting to me is that when the Acts of Vengeance plot started and we see the Hand brainwashing Betsy, her memories show that she was always wild and adventurous. Interestingly enough prior to that when Claremont wrote her in both the UK and US comments, she was portrayed as more serious and demure. Not that I’m complaining as I like her being more vivacious and people have various facets to their personalities.
ReplyDelete