Monday, September 14, 2026

Maximum X-Men #1 Variant Cover by Ken Lashley

6 comments:

  1. So ugly... looks like a sketch, I hate dirty inks. I want Dauterman, I love his clean impolute style. Also the overall looks is screaming 90s. I love 90s X-Men but I can't help but think Betsy and Firestar deserved proper redesigns and unique costumes. Feels like a half cook relaunch for them. I hope the writting will make justice for these characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover. Storm looks amazing! <3

    Betsy looks like classic Betsy, I can’t quite explain, but it’s a good feeling of nostalgia meets modern. I’m hoping that the flowers in her hair are temporary (reminders from Excalibur, a time I’d rather forget - plus it is too… like, limiting, I guess, design-wise, although I like the half-loose hairstyle).

    And I hope the generic blue & gold is also a placeholder uniform. The Disassembled look would kill here, I don’t understand how such a beautiful (and from what I gather, popular) design was used so little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing Betsy, Wolverine, and Firestar here together is so surreal and cool. Never thought it would happen. 🤩

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also I’m deducting points from what appears to be a physical sword enveloped in TK energy, like, just make one from pure psionic energy, Betts! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the colorist is confused since the psychic energy is just enveloping part of the blade the rest is drawn solid. If you saw that in black in white you’d assume the same if you didn’t know the character. This is where editorial always fails and never has these things corrected. The inconsistency with these details drives me mad lol

      Delete
    2. I actually prefer a real sword to slice and dice enemies up over the psychic energy one at this point. I recall when the sword first debuted she used it both telekinetically and telepathically and it was cool. The latter being to free Ororo from Nate Grey’s mind control and to enter Lucas’ mind. Following the Tini days, has any writer ever established any actual use for it telepathically or telekinetically.? It always feels like a prop post-Disassembled .

      Delete